If there is one natural beauty “secret” I can vouch for 100%, it would be coconut oil – I can’t even begin to explain how it has turned my hair after the abuse I gave it during high school.
Coconut oil isn’t just great for hair, though. What makes it such a good “beauty oil” is its small molecular structure – this allows for complete absorption into the skin and hair.
Here are some beauty ways to enjoy coconut oil:
1. Coconut oil as a skin moisturizer. Coconut oil is great for your skin, whether it’s the skin on your face, or on the body. Cosmetic dermatologist Dr. Paul Jarrod Frank explains:
Coconut oil has beneficial uses, both internally and externally. It has pure fatty acids essential for moisturising and also has anti-bacteria and anti-fungal properties.
Comuaric acid is an antioxidant present in coconut oil and decreases inflammation and increases over health of the skin. It is also very moisturising and sooth for sunburns and helps skin’s luminosity and gives a nice temporary glow.
You can use it for the face as a natural moisturizer, but I love it on the body. Apply it on your body immediately after a shower when your skin is a little damp, and it will absorb immediately without any greasy or sticky residue.
2. Coconut oil for dry, flaky lips. Coconut oil can be used as a lip balm to relief dry and flaky lips.
3. Coconut oil as a scrub. Coconut oil is a great oil to make some beauty recipes with. Mix coconut oil with some brown sugar for a facial scrub, a body scrub, a foot scrub, or a DIY natural lip scrub… the possibilities are endless!
4. Coconut oil for dry, cracked heels. Apply coconut oil liberally to your foot, wear a pair of socks over it, and sleep with it on over night. The next day you’ll get super soft feet.
5. Coconut oil for hair. Ah, my favorite way to use coconut oil! What I personally do is to use coconut oil as a pre-shampoo hair conditioner. (My favorite is this one.) Apply generous amounts of it to your hair, leave on for 30 minutes, and then rinse off and shampoo in the shower. You can also use it as a leave in conditioner.
6. Coconut oil for dandruff. Coconut oil is excellent for preventing and controlling dandruff. Just apply it to the scalp of your hair for 30 minutes before shampooing, 3 times a week, and you’ll see less flakes in about a week (or however frequent you shampoo your hair). Vatika Coconut Oil will get rid of dandruff within 2 days – promise.
7. Coconut oil as eye makeup remover. Careful with this one – but coconut oil can be a great eye makeup remover. Apply it to a warm cloth and be very careful not to put too much (this can cause milia seeds, those tiny, hard-to-get-rid-of oil ducts) or get it in your eyes. (Check out more tips on How to Remove Your Makeup Properly).