Knowing your face shape is pretty important in beauty.
So how to find your face shape? All you need is lipstick, a mirror and a few minutes of your time.
First, pull all your hair up away from your face, grab a tube of lipstick and stand in front of the mirror. (It’s better to have a full-length mirror or one that is at eye level so you can very clearly outline your face shape.)
Standing straight on, parallel to that mirror, trace the outline of your face with the lipstick onto the mirror (it’ll wash off easily after, don’t worry).
Now, take a step back and identify the shape you have drawn on your mirror (you would’ve learnt shapes in kindergarten, if not, read more below).
Identify Your Face Shape. For example, you may already see an outline of a square, or an oval, etc. Here are extra details to double check each face shape:
- Round: Hair and jawline are rounded, face is almost as wide as it is long and is widest at your cheekbones.
- Square: Forehead is the narrowest part of your face, and your jawline is strong, squarish and is the widest part of your face.
- Heart & Triangle: Heart and triangle face shapes (upside down triangle, that is) are basically the same thing. If your face is slightly longer than wide and your jaw & chin area is the narrowest part of your face.
- Long: Your face is longer than wide, your forehead, cheekbones and jawline are the same width; and your hair and jawline are softly rounded.
- Oval: If your face is ever so slightly longer than it is wide, your face is widest at its cheekbones and your jawline is softly rounded.
If the Shape Doesn’t Fit… Just to note, the face shape you’ve drawn doesn’t have to fit exactly to the details above, nor will your face shape look exactly like say, a square. But just see which shape you think is closest, and where your face would fit. As long as it roughly resembles one of the shapes in the diagram above, then it’s safe to say that is your face shape.
Found your face shape? Great! Now check back to find out what hairstyle suits you best. (Also, you can find out how to apply blush according to your face shape now that you know your face shape, too.)