I think it’s time for another summer beauty tip!
(Although, this one can actually be useful year-round, especially if you tend to find that your foundation doesn’t stay on. Which I think is fairly common where I live – it’s hot, hot and hotter all the time.)
Because as you may have experienced, sometimes foundation, humidity and sweat just don’t mix well.
How to Make Sweat Proof Foundation
The answer is, of course, buying a sweat proof foundation that claims to be long lasting and good for the heat and humidity. Or a foundation primer. Either way, it’s extra products and extra time in your routine.
That being said, you can save some money and get your own sweat proof foundation right now. Allow me to introduce this clever beauty DIY trick I learnt from my friend.
First, the discovery
The other day, I was getting ready with a friend at my house before going out.
I didn’t notice what she was doing too much, but when I saw her mix the greasiest-looking sunblock – think old school Coppertone, a beloved classic but still, very, very greasy – with her expensive Guerlain foundation, I blurted “what are you doing?!“. My friend nonchalantly replied that the water-resistance sunscreen makes the foundation hold better and survive a night of dancing.
In other words, she made her own sweat proof foundation. Without having to spend money on any other product.
What. A. Genius. Talk about a light bulb (beauty) moment.
It does make sense, though: these sweat proof sunscreens are made to last through water sports, laying on the beach, in the water… so the formula is extra strong, if you will. Also, if you can make your own tinted moisturizer by mixing together foundation and moisturizer (yes, you can do this, but the way), why not make your own sweat-proof, long-lasting, non-fade foundation?
What to do:
1. Use foundations as normal. First, squeeze a bit of foundation on the back of your hand. Squeeze out the normal amount you do for your full face, usually a few pea sized amounts.
2. Add in the sunscreen. Next, add a few drops of some sweat-proof, water-resistant sunblock directly from the tube into the foundation.
3. Mix it together. Mix the foundation and sunscreen together, either with your index finger or a foundation brush, and then apply the foundation to your face as normal. I know many may think that applying sunscreen and then foundation on top, separately, will do the trick, but in my experience, you gotta really mix the two formulas together. And don’t worry if the sunscreen makes your foundation a little lighter, it should apply normally to you face after. Again, just remember to blend.
4. Finishing it off. If you really want your foundation to last, apply a light dusting of loose powder on top. This is guaranteed to make your foundation last all day – whether in the heat and humidity, the gym or a night our dancing.
Best Sunscreens to Mix With
I’ve found that some sunscreens are better to mix with foundation than others. Here are a few of my favorites to make sweat proof foundation with:
- Neutrogena Clear Face Liquid Lotion Sunscreen For Acne-Prone Skin, Broad Spectrum Spf 55
- Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen, Broad Spectrum Spf 45
- Coppertone Oil Free Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30, 8-ounce
Et voila, sweaty face be gone! If you try this out, please let me know how it works for you, and how it was to make your own sweat proof foundation. And I know what you might be thinking – sure, you can always use a foundation primer to make foundation stay on, but this may actually be more fun, no?