When I first heard about the Oil Cleansing Method, I freaked.
OIL?! … On your face?
Oh heck no.
You see; as an ex-acne sufferer, I do not allow any sort of oil to ever touch my face. Ever. Every thing is oil-free: oil free cleansers, moisturizers, sunscreen, foundation, everything. However, I have been quite curious after reading more about it; that oil is actually good for your skin and that tons of acne-prone sufferers have benefited from it. Let’s just say I’m very intrigued…
The Oil Cleansing Method (let’s just call it OCM from now on) has been the go-to skincare of women of all ages, and all skin types for many, many years. Frugal, safe, and effective, the OCM has thousands of raving fans all over the internet – I found countless blog posts raving about it.
Why Try The Oil Cleansing Method?
While it may seem strange to cleanse your face with oil – the grease! the smell! the oiliness! – especially if you have oily skin and are afraid of acne, fret not – TheOilCleansingMethod.com, a great resource for all things OCM, says:
Do not be afraid of applying oil to your face. Oil, alone, will not bring you blemishes. Pimples, cysts, zits, blackheads, whiteheads…these are a result of several different factors including hormones, bacteria, dead skin cells and the buildup of these factors. Your skin naturally produces oil because it needs it.
Acne.org confirms this:
Oil dissolves oil. One of the most basic principals of chemistry is that “like dissolves like.” The best way to desolve a non-polar solvent like sebum/oil, is by using another non-polar solvent similar in composition: other oils. By using the right oils, you can cleanse your pores of dirt and bacteria naturally, gently and effectively, while replacing the dirty oil with beneficial ones extracted from natural botanicals, vegetables and fruit that heal, protect and nourish your skin.
To put it more simply, here are the benefits of the OCM:
- cleanse your pores of dirt, bateria, and makeup gently
- does not cause any acne or blemishes
- moisturizing – and good! – for the skin
- a cleanser, makeup-remover and moisturizer all in one
- natural and safe
- much cheaper!
The Oil Cleansing Method Steps
1. Prepare: You can make your own cleanser by simply mixing oils together. The most popular blend is castor oil and extra-virgin olive oil (castor oil draws out dirt from pores and olive oil heals and nourishes the skin). Experiment to see what the right ratio of mixtures is right for you, but here’s a starting guide:
- Normal skin: 1/2 castor oil, 1/2 extra-virgin olive oil
- Acne-prone/oil skin: 3/4 castor oil, 1/4 extra-virgin olive oil
- Dry skin: 1/4 castor oil, 3/4 extra-virgin olive oil
(Other oils that people have found success in is sunflower seed oil, jojoba oil and flaxseed oil. But I think with this it is all about experimenting and see what works best for you.)
2. Application: Squirt a small amount, rub your hands together, and gently massage your face with your oil blend. No scrubbing, no harsh nails – just use your fingertips and enjoy a light facial massage for about a minute.
3. Steaming: Grab a washcloth and dip it in hot water (not steaming hot, but hot) and place it over your face. Allow it to warm your face and leave it there until the washcloth cools.
4. Removal: Take off the washcloth, rinse some of the oil out, and then gently wipe the oil off from your face. If you do this in the night, you can omit moisturizer since this is moisturizing enough! For the daytime, continue to apply a light moisturizer.
Your turn! have you tried the Oil Cleansing Method? How did you find it and what are your thoughts? I am definitely gonna try it out. Stay tuned.